Subscribe to Baking Cakes Galore - don't miss a recipe

Sunday 1 March 2009

Cherry Bakewell Cake ~ Sweet & Simple Bakes.

My apologies that it has been a while since my last post. It wasn’t my intention to leave such a huge gap in blogging but regrettably I have been ill with gastric influenza. I’m still not on top form but I didn’t want to disappoint S&SB bakers with this month’s bake and round-up at Sweet and Simple Bakes.

Many thanks to everyone for all your kind words on my new blog and it really is lovely to *see* you here! ♥♥

Now without further ado let’s go onto this month’s bake for Sweet and Simple Bakes --------->




Time has come again to show case our monthly bake over at Sweet and Simple Bakes. This month it was my turn to post a recipe and I thought a Poll again would be a good fun way of choosing this month’s bake of Cherry Bakewell Cake. If you adore Bakewell Tart then you’re really going to love this cake with its moist and feather-light sponge and almond/ morello cherry flavour running through. It’s an easy all-in-one recipe for the sponge cake and a topping of icing with scattered flaked toasted almonds. I couldn’t resist myself and added a few glacé cherries to finish the decoration off.

Please do call by Sweet and Simple Bakes and view the round-up of our other bakers; also if you fancy joining in our monthly bake, we would be most delighted to have you bake with us!





Cherry Bakewell Cake

Serves 8

Ingredients
For The Cake
200g (8oz butter), well softened, + extra for greasing
200g (8oz) caster sugar
100g (4 oz) ground almonds
100g (4 oz) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon almond extract or essence
4 large eggs
Pinch of salt
For The Filling & Top
½ a 340g (approx 12 oz) jar of morello cherry conserve/jam
175g (6 oz) icing sugar
5-6 teaspoons water or lemon juice
1 tablespoon flaked almonds, lightly toasted

2 x 20cm (8 in) round sandwich tins, greased with butter and base lined with baking paper.

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/fan160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Using electric beaters, beat together all the cake ingredients until smooth. Divide the batter equally between tins and level the tops with a spatula. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. *Do not open the oven door until 25 minutes of baking to check the cake*. Place the tins onto a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before turning out to fully cool. Make sure the top of one of the cakes is facing up as you’ll want a smooth surface for the icing later on. When cool, put one sponge on a serving plate, then spread with conserve/jam. Sandwich the second sponge on top. Sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the water or lemon juice, then stir until smooth and thick. Spread evenly over the top and let it dribble over the sides. Scatter with toasted flaked almonds on the icing and leave to set for a few minutes before cutting.

*Notes*

*This is an easy all in one method for making a sponge cake*. *Please make sure your butter is fully softened before you start*.

*If you find morello cherry conserve/jam difficult to source, substitute with raspberry conserve/jam, it will be just as delicious*!

*To toast flaked almonds ~ place a single layer in a dry for toasting. With the frying pan over medium-high heat, stir or shake the nuts continually for 3 to 5 minutes or until they start to turn golden. Remove them from the cooking pan as soon as they're done*.


* A few glacé cherries placed on top of the icing additionally with the flaked toasted almonds would also be a lovely *.


Lastly enjoy a slice with a steaming cuppa!

28 comments:

Donna said...

Happy March 1st to You sweetie!!!! This looks Delicious!! Happy Sunday!!hughugs

natalia said...

Ciao Rosie Thank you for the nice recipe !! I wish mine rose like yours !!

Deeba PAB said...

Of course you are naughty but nice & that's a fab looking cake. Great choice Rosie. Sorry to hear you were under the weather! xoxoxo

Arundathi said...

Beautiful Rosie! Thanks for our comments - my baking powder was quite recent, but you might be right about the caster sugar. i really think i should just double the recipe next time. It was delicious, though, thank you!

Elyse said...

Rosie, I hope you're feeling better; gastric influenza sounds quite awful. Let me say that your illness hasn't stopped you from making a show-stopping cake. This one is quite a looker, just beautiful! And it sounds delicious, too!

Maggie said...

This is a lovely cake and one I enjoyed very much.
Hope you are feeling much better very soon.

Caroline said...

Looks gorgeous Rosie - I love the way the icing is dribbling down the sides (I can't think of a more attractive word than dribbling - sorry!). I find it really hard to get icing the right consistency to do that!

Hopefully the next S&SB won't have nuts in it and I can join in again!

Hope you're feeling better now too and can face food again.

Starningblue said...

Hi Rosie!

Your icing looks great! Mine is probably a bit too watery and trickles all the way down the cake but its ok, it is yummy!

Thanks for the recipe :)

Cheers,
Starningblue

Unknown said...

hope you are feeling better rosie..take lots of care....
the cake is a winner..absolute delish..

Freeza said...

Thank you for the greate recipe

The Caked Crusader said...

Yum.
I'm printing this one off to make!

Jin Hooi said...

your cake looks soooo beautiful !!!Thanks for choosing the recipe ;-)

sangeeta said...

hi rosie....your blog made me really happy today.....and i am following you now.....

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

Arrived here via the foodie blogroll and I'm just so impressed with your blog and your cakes. Very nice place to visit!

Maria♥ said...

Great recipe, great cake!

Hope you feel better soon.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling well! Hope you're better soon!!!

That is one of the sweetest looking cakes. Your glaze is perfectly drizzled.

I made a chocolate cake last night & it didn't do anything for me but this cake? Right up my alley, YUM! Wish I could run over to have a slice!
~ingrid

The Wandering Pit said...

Glad you´re feeling better,Rosie! The cake looks wonderful! I love cherries and Bakewell tarts so the two together has to be a winner!

Rachel said...

Gorgeous and I just love the dripping icing...

ShellyH said...

Welcome to the foodie blog roll. I hope you feel better soon. That cake recipe looks absolutely delicous!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, what a magnificent cake! Very tempting! Perfect with a cuppa cha ;-P...

I hope that you are feeling better now...

cheers,

Rosa

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! I could picture it in a magazine!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments.

I am getting there with just a few after effects of this awful virus -I've asked my daughter kindly not to bring home anymore viruses I've think I’ve had my fair share lol...

with best wishes Rosie x

Sophie said...

This is so pretty :), almost like a birthday present!

Cakelaw said...

This looks scrumptious Rosie - I'd love a slice of this.

Bimmer said...

Rosie,
your cake looks absolutely wonderful and delicious!

Hope to be able to join in the next bake!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Ahhh thank you Sophie & Cakelaw. Brimmer it will be lovely to have you join us in our next bake sweetie.

Best wishes Rosie x

Lisa said...

I followed you from Caked Crusader because I never met a neon cherry I didn't like. :)

Beautiful site and even more beautiful goodies. Worth the trip!

Anonymous said...

hi ..
one of my favourite blog.
looks so nice and yummy.
novia
indonesia