Subscribe to Baking Cakes Galore - don't miss a recipe

Thursday 28 May 2009

Let’s Go A Strawberry Feasting!


Strawberries awaken fond memories of red stained hands, balmy sunny days, playing carefree with friends and my mother watching Wimbledon tennis on the television. Even holiday times spent in Devon/Cornwall, taking cream teas of sweet scones, clotted cream, strawberry jam, and a huge pot of tea. This is reminiscing of my childhood and I smile fondly of good times gone by.

In my part of England we are still waiting for our own strawberries but I could not resist buying out of season and bringing a little of summer into my home.

Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of this cake, it certainly is irresistible on taste. Now who could resist strawberries, jam and cream engulfed in a light sponge, oh boy not I that is for sure!



Strawberry Cream Sponge Cake

Ingredients
175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
1½ tsp baking powder
175g (6 oz) softened butter
3 large eggs, at room temperature
175g (6 oz) caster sugar (super fine)
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Filling and Decoration
120ml (4 fl oz) double cream (heavy cream)
4 large tbsp good quality strawberry jam
300g (11 oz) ripe strawberries, hulled
1 tbsp icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)

You will require 2 x20cm (2 x 8in) round cake tins. Grease with a little butter and line the base with non-stick baking paper.

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Sift the self-raising flour and baking powder into a large bowl, and then add the butter, caster sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Beat together until mixed, trying not to over mix the mixture. Spoon the mixture equally into the prepared round cake tins. Bake in the preheated oven on a middle shelf for about 25 -30 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn them out to completely cool on a wire rack.

Whisk the cream to a firm consistency for the filling. Place one sponge cake onto a serving plate and spread with the strawberry jam, followed by the whipped cream and a few of the strawberries sliced. Place the second sponge on top. Arrange a few strawberries over the top and dust with icing sugar. Serve on the day you bake this due to the fresh cream.

Lastly, cut into the cake, arm yourself with a slice, and enjoy that summer feeling of red ripe strawberries!




I am sending my Strawberry Cream Sponge Cake to a ‘dear’ fellow blogger Happy Cook- whom I affectionately call H.C. You can find H.C. @ My Kitchen Treasures who is hosting a great event called Strawberry Feasts! Now if you would like to partake in this event do call by H.C.’s blog to find out more details.


47 comments:

Uma said...

ooh, Rosie! Amazing cake! Toooooo tempting. I love strawberries :) Pictures are soo good...

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous and fabulous cake Rosie...Awesome pictures!

Baby Gifts said...

Oh wow. This looks so good and your pictures are really good. I am going to try this recipe and see if I can get it to look as good as yours.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, your Victorie Sponge Cake looks so pretty and delicious! One of my favorite summer cakes!

Cheers,

Rosa

Gloria Baker said...

WOW Rosie!!! Look absolutely fantastic and yummy, Iwould like to participate in this!! I hope!!!nice recipe dear! xxGloria

J.L. Danger said...

I love strawberries! I just bought two pounds worth at the store an hour ago! Now I know what to do with them!

Chef Jeena said...

Beautiful cake Rosie - there is something so lovely about fresh strawberries and cakes. :-)

Bunny said...

This is strawberry heaven!! I can just imagaine how good this cake tastes!

Web Designing said...

Rosie i love your blog.. your recipes are great.. i love it.. specially your cakes..

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cake, Rosie!! I'm truly drooling all over my keyboard!! :)

Maria said...

Absolutely gorgeous Rosie! Love everything about it. And a strawberry shortcake has been on my mind all week...my daughter's birthday party is in two weeks and I decided to go in a slightly different direction as opposed to a fondant covered (which never does well in heat) cake. So I've been thinking all week that I would just focus on a fresh strawberry and cream cake with a few intricate decorations to go over top. Thank you for cementing that idea--your cake looks scrumptious!!

Heather said...

Beautiful Victoria Sponge Cake and delicious looking strawberries. Can I fly across the pond for an English tea?!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Strawberry and cream in a cake! Looks beautiful, Rosie.
I had a mini strawberry festival myself this year. For us the season is in Dec/ Jan.

For along time I used to wonder at the tradition of serving strawberries and cream at Wimbledon (used to watch it on TV). Now my daughter loves it. :)

job new Zealand said...

i soo love strawberry cakes.. :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh,no Rosie I'm not fooled. I can see CLEARLY that this cake is some serious business. :) Thanks for sharing it and the memories.
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

Love this cake. OMG, it is beautiful and I just know it musthave been extremely delicious!

rachel said...

I could never ever resist that!

Unknown said...

Your cake looks great :-)
I love how you left the cake uncovered, it just adds to its beauty.

Caroline said...

Your cake looks delicious, Rosie! Love the strawberries peeking out between the sponge cake layers.

Unknown said...

looks so delicious..cake looks beautiful!!

Finla said...

Rosie Thankyou so much for sending this to my event and I am so glad you made them even out of season.
It is not a simple cake, it is just gorgeous , love all the pics , especially the one with falling powder sugar.
Wish i had a huge slice from the cake.

Ria Mathew said...

Lovely cake Rosie! :)Loved the pics too!!

The Girl said...

That looks gorgeous!! Aah so summery as well. I'm going to a bbq on Saturday, might see if I have time before we need to be there to make this!

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks divine - Essex strawberries are just starting to appear and taste better than any other (in my biased opinion!)

The Blonde Duck said...

That cake is so pretty! It's just so simple and happy!

Fearless Kitchen said...

Wow, this looks so delicious! And so pretty! I'd almost feel guilty eating it, it looks so pretty (note that I said almost.)

for the love of my life said...

hi rosie ...
thank you for visiting my blog. i am sorry for the google translater. my american friend has told me about that i should have translater for non indonesian speaking. unfortunately, i do not know how to put that gadget at my blog. i haven't found the instruction for dummy. i am just learning to write a blog and to bake also.
before i have it, you do please tell me which recipe that you like to try. i am very sure that i can help you with just a clue.
do you think that i could join this strawberry feasting?

novia
indonesia

Maggie said...

I love this cake Rosie. Just my taste.
I can't wait until my strawberries start to ripen!

Debbie said...

Oh does that cake look fantastic. It just looks wonderful. I wish I had a slice. Strawberries are in season here and I think I will just have to make this very soon!!!!

Donna said...

This looks YUMMYTUMMY Sweetie!! Happy weekend to you!!

nath said...

wow..wonderful cake, full of strawberry, love it^^

Cakelaw said...

What a beautiful cake Rosie, and spectacularly photographed. It is the first day of winter here on Monday, so strawberries would be hard to find, but it sounds like a fun event.

Cynthia said...

I particularly like the last photograph of the snowing powdered sugar.

That coconut and jam slice looks wickedly delicious.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks wonderful! And such a perfect summertime treat!

test it comm said...

That strawberry cake looks so good!

Marlene Rogers said...

I fell in love with homemade sponge cake from when my mother-in-law baked one for me years ago. I lost her recipe in my many moves, so I was delighted when I saw this recipe. It is strawberry season here in Florida, so it is off to the store, so I can try this recipe tomorrow.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Strawberries always take me back to
my childhood when all the families would get together for a strawberry social at my elementary school. My classmates and I would have red-stained hands as well as lips from slicing strawberries all day:D

Hornsfan said...

Beautiful!!! I think this looks delicious, the strawberries have been divine lately and this is a perfect use for them :)

♥Rosie♥ said...

Thanks for all your kind words my 'dear' friends :0)

H.C. it was fun thanks for hosting a great event!

Novia, pleased everything is sorted out with Google reader and H.C.’s event!

I also I would like to say a big hello to all my new friends here - lovely to *meet* you :0) I do hope you will call back soon!

Best wishes Rosie xoxox

Katie said...

Looks wonderful. The esence of hot summer days :)

♥Rosie♥ said...

Thanks Katie :0) It was lovely to eat for afternoon tea with the lovely sunny weather we've been having here.

Best wishes Rosie x

Creative Classroom Core said...

Another beautiful cake! This is incredibly gorgeous! Nice work!

Deeba PAB said...

You've been baking up a feast Rosie...WOW! Love this LOADS!!

Daisypicker5 said...

I have actually never made a strawberry shortcake cake but I made a red velvet cake this weekend using this recipe http://www.howcast.com/videos/139827-How-To-Make-Red-Velvet-Cake and it was absolutely delicious!! Good job, your food looks amazing!!

accounts payable outsourcing said...

Wow!good picture of cakes...
Regards,
accounting BPO services

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks absolutely delicious. It would be a real delight to trot this out at a barbeque!

Outsourcing Manila said...

Good pictures, thanks for sharing it.