Subscribe to Baking Cakes Galore - don't miss a recipe

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Going Bananas with Fruit!



I must apologise to you my dear readers for my lack of blogging this last week or so! As I mentioned we were on holiday and had some lovely days out, we went to the seaside and could not have had better weather. A couple of day trips out to idyllic villages with stone cottages and little streams running through and weeping willow tree branches touching the water and moving gently to the flow.

On the agenda also was strawberry picking, well hubby did the picking due to my back problems. We ended up with a few punnets full of sweet ripe fruit, as a result, I made some wonderful strawberry conserve to savour for when the weather turns cold into autumn and winter. A spoonful of this conserve on homemade bread will remind me of a perfect summer’s day! We also made a visit to a local farm where they sell their own produce, I came away with bunches of beetroot – oh yes with still dirt on them ready to scrub and cook. A huge marrow to peel and stuff with mince beef, just how my mum used to make it when I was a child. Potatoes, again with dirt on them and oh boy did they taste good when washed peeled and cooked, it must be the Lincolnshire soil they are all grown in! I was let loose in a home and wear store, *I’m in heaven, I’m in heaven*, where they had beautiful cake stands, elegant cups and saucers, in fact everything you could imagine for an avid cook/baker. Hmmmm, oh yes I did come away with a few little items to add to my little repertoire of things!



Overall, it was a lovely break, which must have lead to my lack of mojo for baking of late. I hope I have rectified things with you with this gorgeous fruity banana bread. I had six very overripe bananas that need attention in some form or shape, a lovely bag of mixed berries consisting of blueberries, cranberries and golden sultanas and a few glace cherries. Well, the fruit all worked beautifully together and the taste of this banana bread is sublime. I doubled up the quantities of each ingredient and made two fruity banana breads. You could cut one and give one to your friend or even freeze one if it lasts that long! I certainly will be baking this combination of fruits in my banana bread again.




Fruity Banana Bread

Makes one 900g (2lb) loaf

Ingredients
200g (7 oz) self-raising flour
3 large very ripe bananas
Grated zest of 1 lemon
75g (3 oz) dried ready to eat apricots, chopped
50g (2 oz) mixed dried fruit berries (blueberries, cranberries, golden sultanas)
25g (1 oz) glace cherries, chopped
2 large eggs
125g (4½ oz) caster sugar
100g (4 oz) butter, softened

You will need a 900g (2 lb) loaf tin, greased with a little butter and lined with baking parchment.

Method

Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan oven 150°C/325°F/gas mark 3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy in appearance. Add one egg at a time and beat into the mixture until fully combined. Add the dried fruit and lemon zest and fold through the mixture. Mash the bananas and fold through the mixture. Sift the flour into the mixture in the bowl and carefully fold in. Place all the mixture into the prepared tin and gently level the top with a spatula. Bake for about 1 hour in the preheated oven, but check after 50 minutes to see if it is ready. The banana bread is ready when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out completely clean. Leave in the banana bread in the tin to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before turning out to cool completely. When cold peel away the baking parchment. Keeps well stored in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.

Lastly, pour yourself a lovely hot cup of tea and cut a slice of fruity banana bread. Relax and enjoy the world go by whilst you take pleasure in your little slice of banana nirvana!

54 comments:

A_and_N said...

My fave thing to do with Bananas.

Karine said...

I love this banana bread recipe! It seems also healthier than the banana chocolate chips bread I made 2 days ago and which is almost already eaten!

Rose said...

I dont usually like bananas, but i love banana bread :)
Yours looks deliciously yummy, and the pink teacup is very sweet!

Rose

Anonymous said...

SO,had a great holiday ? your backpain still troubles Rosie ? Take care

This loaf looks real healthy..with a hot cup of tea !!

natalia said...

Ciao ! The rose looks great with your bananas bread !!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A marvelous combination! Very scrumptious and different from the usual banana cakes...

Cheers,

Rosa

Caroline said...

No need to apologize, I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, Rosie.
I am sure to enjoy that delicious banana bread with all the other yummy fruits in it! Looks really moist, too!

Katiecakes said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! I love discovering homeware shops, I go crazy :D

I adore your cup and plate, so beautiful.

Katie xox

The Girl said...

Glad to see you're back! Bread looks delicious.

I need to go to one of these shops I don't even have one little measly cake stand to my name :(

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks delicious - I'm going to be using bananas too in my next baking; I have a hankering for them!

Reeni said...

From the sound of it you had a lovely time. I'm glad your back. This extra fruity bread looks scrumptious! What a treat.

Talita said...

Wow, Rosie! This banana bread looks gorgeous! The dough is so soft, tender. Love your blog!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

The kids and I love bananas and bake a lot with them. BUT I've never had much success with banana bread. It's always over browned and under baked! :(

Yours looks and sounds delish!
~ingrid

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Rose this look absolutely yummy and beauty! xxgloria

Katie said...

Looks delicious! I love how you included fresh berries with the banana. I;ve never done that, don't know why as it sounds great.

Lucie said...

This looks lovely and moist- so yummy. I have missed your updates! Glad you have had a nice break.

Love Lucie x

Hornsfan said...

So glad you enjoyed your holiday - it sounds like you gathered quite the crops out there! Very tasty looking bread.

Sanghi said...

think you'v enjoyed well rosie.. yummy bread dear!!

Unknown said...

good to hear that you had such a lovely time...cake looks yumm..

Chibog in Chief said...

i have been busy too so i understand this need for time out :-) thanks for giving us this heavenly cake of banana and fruits! i love it dear :-)

Donna-FFW said...

This looks so moist and delicious. Id love some with coffee right now.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Glad you enjoyed your holidays Rosie..seaside excursions and strawberries sound perfect to me.

grace said...

aw, rosie, it looks so soft and tender! i love that you've included such a variety of fruit--this is a stellar recipe!

Heather said...

Lovely loaf cake! I would like to bake it to take to work - Americans aren't used to good fruit cake - I think they will love this.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Hi A&_N, ripe bananas do make a great bake :0)

Hi Karine, I do enjoy adding chocolate chips to banana bread, which always seems to disappear quickly via hubby, however I prefer the fruity banana bread.

Hi Rose, awe thanks sweetie, I got the pink cup ca saucer when I was let loose in the home and wear shop ;0)

Hi Ann, the break was lovely and to have the family home made a good change. Yes I have an ongoing back condition which will remain with me unfortunately all my life.

Ciao Natalia, lovely to *see* you sweetie, I hope you had a lovely holiday :0)

Hi Rosa, awe thank you and yes it’s a bit different from other banana breads.

Hi caroline, awe you are such a treasure!

Hi Katiecakes, yes the break was good :0) heehee a girl after my own heart with home and wear shops. I felt like a kid in a sweet shop I can tell you on my first visit :0) *Whisper* the plate and tea cup and saucer was one of the buys this holiday ....

Hi The Girl, awe bless you it’s lovely to be back blogging again after what seems an age! If you have a T.K.Max they do some great offers on cooking and bake wear quite cheap :0)

Hi C.C. can’t wait to view your next bake. I’m always on the look out for recipes to use up ripe bananas :0)
Hi Reeni, it was such a lovely break but pleased to be back also.

Hi Talita, The dough is a moist one and it really is a good keeper – thank you and I love your blog too!

Hi Ingrid, I hope you will try this one out and it becomes a great success for you :0)

Hi my ‘dear’ Gloria, you are always so kind and sweet and that’s why you are adored by many bloggers!!

Hi Katie, awe thanks sweetie – I hope you will try this bread out :0)

Hi Lucie, awe bless it’s so nice to know I’ve been missed in the blogosphere :0)

Hi Hornsfan, the local crops are amazing as Lincolnshire U.K. grown many crops for the country. The ground lies flat and you can see for miles and miles on the fens, which links up to Boston. Now Boston is where the Pilgrim fathers came from.

Hi Sangi & Sowmay , thanks so much you are both so sweet :0)

Hi Dhanggit, I love to bake and blog but sometimes life seems to get in the way of things I like doing most.

Hi Donna, I would love to pass you a loaf over to cut into :0)

Hi Val, the seaside was wonderful as due to my back condition we did wonder if I’d travel ok. Well it worked out fine this time and we had a ball.

Hi Grace, I just adore fruit ant shape or form so for me this banana bread was a huge hit and hubby has taken two huge slices to work for him and his co-worker lol...

Hi Heather, this is a perfect cake for transporting to work. I will be baking my fruit cake in the next couple of month’s for Christmas – yup – it needs a couple of month’s to mature by feeding it with Brandy.

Thank you all for taking the time to call by and also for your kind words :0)

Rosie x

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Rosie so gorgeous and wonderful fruity bread...mmm sounds delectable :)
Can I have one for my breakfast?

Cheers!

Gera

Anonymous said...

Fruity banana bread sounds wonderful. It looks great too!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks absolutely fabulous!

Chef Jeena said...

I love cakes like this Rosie I would eat half to myself. :-)

Your holiday sounds great I love countryside and scenic little villages.

Cakelaw said...

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, and good to have you back. This cake looks delicious!

Pari Vasisht said...

That's my favorite Rosie dear. I am glad you had good holiday with your family. But it's good to see u back and rolling again.

dabrah said...

I started making banana bread when my kids were little, but I've never thought of adding fruit... hmmm.. adding blueberries and cranberries is inspired.

nora@ffr said...

vat a perfect fruity bread.. a must try for the breakfast!! yummm!!!

Dee said...

So glad I have found your blog. What beautiful baking delights. I'm certain that your site is full of wonderful ideas. Thanks for posting such beautiful baking photos & recipes. Inspired....

La Bella Cooks said...

I just love the combo of the bananas and blueberries. Too yummy!

Nic said...

I like mine with a cupe of tea too, looks very tasty Rosie!

Jamie said...

This is really a beautiful banana bread, moist and fluffy. Yum! And love the fruit blended in.

The Purple Foodie said...

I've been seeing way too many banana breads.i think this is a sign for me to make some for myself..

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love the added fruit. Glad you were able to get some rest and relaxation.

Lucy said...

Your banana bread looks wonderfully studded with all the little nuggets of fruit: what a delicious way to use up the leftover bananas and a change from plain banana bread :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a good weekend!

Maria said...

I want a slice!

Katiecakes said...

Hi Rosie, I have a surprise for you over at my site ;)

Katie xox

Anna said...

Great minds, Rosie - I also went fruit picking with my family while the weather was nice! But it's good to come back to this sort of thing; sounds so delicious!

Maggie said...

Great banana cake Rosie.
When we lived in Leicestershire we loved Lincolnshire potatoes - you just can't beat them on taste. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get them in these parts.

Anonymous said...

Fruity banana bread! Love it.

Cynthia said...

See what you have done to me? It is now 11.15 p.m. and I am going to make myself a cup of tea and have it with a slice of my coconut bread :)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Rosie, this bread looks delicious! Nice work!

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Hi Rosie,

Nothing better than banana bread with a cup of coffee in the morning. It reminds me of mornings spend in Dominica, seating in the cafe facing the port and watching the sea... good, old times ;)

I make it quite often myself, with walnuts, taste much better the next day but hardly ever survive so long.

Hope you will have great week, Margot

Esther said...

Hi Rose,
I have just made a gluten free version of this and it came out fantastic.. better than the one I've made in the past based on a Delia recipe according to my six year old! Would you have any objection to me putting up my version.. which is mostly just changing the flour, on my blog? I'd link to you of course as well.

chef wear said...

When it comes to cooking, I’m having second thoughts, it’s just that I am not so good at it; I really don’t have the magic to make such tasty food. Good for you :)

Domain registration india said...

It's so delicious and yummy.I am going to try this. Thanks for recipe details.

mmgd5 said...

العاب برق

I love it

thank you

Alan Curtis said...

I want to share with you all here on how I got my loan from Mr Benjamin who helped me with a loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i applied for the loan when things were getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin granted me loan without delay. Here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com.