Subscribe to Baking Cakes Galore - don't miss a recipe

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Tang-talising The Senses


After the richness of the little Baileys chocolate muffins below, I thought I would bake a citrus lemon loaf cake this time around to share with you. Adding a streusel topping to this loaf cake would make a change from a normal lemon sponge. It worked out beautifully in taste and texture with the lemon flavour not overtly over powering.


However, if you prefer a sharper zing of lemon, I would then suggest adding a little lemon juice to the sponge or lemon extract to increase the lemon flavour with the lemon zest. This cake is delightful sliced and served with a hot cup of tea mid afternoon when those sugar levels seem to drop a little, and little pangs of hunger set in.

Lemon Streusel Loaf Cake

Ingredients
For The Lemon Sponge
125g (5 oz) softened butter
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
165g (5½ oz) caster sugar
2 large eggs
110g (4½ oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
75g (3 oz) self-raising flour
60ml (2 fl oz plus 2 tsp) milk
Lemon Streusel Mixture
40g (1½ oz) caster (superfine) sugar
40g (1½ oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
30g (1 ¼ oz) butter, chopped into squares
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 heaped tbsp flaked almonds


You will need 13cm x 23cm (5in x 9in) loaf tin, greased and lined with baking parchment, extending the paper 2cm (¾ in) over the sides.


Method

Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan oven 140°C/325°F/Gas mark 3.

Firstly, make the lemon streusel, place the sugar and flour into a small bowl. Rub the butter in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs and then stir in the lemon zest and flaked almonds.

For the lemon sponge, in a mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time beating in after each addition until fully combined. Sift the two flours together and then fold into the mixture alternately with the milk in two batches. Place the mixture into the loaf tin, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the lemon streusel mixture evenly over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the loaf to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool with crumble side upper most. Serve cut into slices.

Lastly relax, serve yourself a slice of this cake with a lovely cup of tea and sit back in admiration of what you have baked.

51 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, that cake looks particularly smooth and promising! I cannot resist anything that contains lemon or that has a streusel topping!

Cheers,

Rosa

Laura Schaefer said...

Looks incredibly delicious. Thank you for the great post.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. This sounds, and looks, absolutely delicious! What a great summer treat!

Reeni said...

What a delicious cake to eat with a cup of tea! Love the lemony topping!

Maria said...

I love the topping, great recipe!

Anonymous said...

The cake looks divine and can go perfect with a hot cup of tea..

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Bring on the lemon flavor! That topping looks insanely good!
~ingrid

Pari Vasisht said...

I can smell the lemon Rosie. Reading your posts I really get benefitted. Love the cake. Bookmarked.

Rose said...

It looks lovely and moist inside. I think I need to bake something this weekend! Theres only one problem, theres too many recipes I want to try :)

Rose

The Blonde Duck said...

I love anything strusel.

Heather said...

Looks delightful! I love the almonds on top too.

Maria♥ said...

A gorgeous citrusy summer cake!

Maria
x

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love the topping on the loaf cake. This would be great with my coffee right now.

Marta said...

I adore streusel on loaves! this tart, summery loaf looks great, perfect to pair with tea, like you suggest!

Anonymous said...

Your loaf looks yummy. It sounds very delicious.

Liz said...

Wow! I love toppings on cakes and this one sounds delicious. I keep this recipe, because I m sure I will be try it out sooner or later. Bye!

Anonymous said...

That looks like another delicious recipe. And as you say...a recipe to mello after indulging in the Baileys chocolate muffins. Which...I still think should have about 1 cup of Baileys instead of so much plain milk.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Thanks my friends for calling by and also for all your kind comments :0)

Rose, I have a list as long or longer than my arm of to do bakes. One took me 10 years to getting around to baking eek.....

Liz, I do hope you will try this recipe out it really is a nice one :0)

Hi Applecrumbles, I so do agree with you on the Baileys via so much plain milk, brilliant idea and I will be trying this out - thanks ;0)

Best wishes to you my 'dear' friends - Rosie x

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad you liked the coconut queen. :)

Chef Jeena said...

I just adore lemon cakes Rosie and that topping is GORGEOUS!

Caroline said...

That looks really good Rosie - I like the idea of topping the cake with a lovely crunchy streusal.

Liz said...

Hi Rosie! This is Liz again! I will love to add your blog to the blogroll I'm making... Let me know if there is no problem for it. Thanks a lot for your lovely blog!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Mmm I love anything with streusel! Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Rosie! Stop taunting me with soooo many nice things because I honestly want to bake them all. I might have to take a week off work just to start catching up on my to-bake list ;)

Donna-FFW said...

Oh this looks so very delicious. Love the topping.

Simones Kitchen said...

That looks delicious! I love most things with lemon anyway. Can't resist the taste!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Hi Duckie, I so loved your story of coconut queen :0) Its a pleasure to chill out reading your wonderful stories :0)

Hi Jeena, how are you sweetie? I’m looking forward to viewing your vegan breakfast :0)

Hi C, ahhh thanks sweetie you are SO kind :0)

Hi Liz, it would be an honour to add me to your blog roll – thank you so much :0)

Hi H.T.E.A.C. , thanks you are always so kind :0)

Hi Wonk, I have baking lists longer than my arms and still they pile up on my to do list ;0) Teehee now there’s a thought, a week off just to bake – bliss!.....

Hi Donna, my hubby really enjoyed this cake especially the topping– sounds like I need to bake him more streusel topped cakes lol

Hio Simone, ooh I so do love lemon flavours too!! I only got to taste the edge crumb of this cake from a slice I cut hubby – he bagged it for hinm and his co-workers lol

Thanks my friends for calling by – it’s always lovely to *see* you and beast wishes Rosie x

Anju said...

As usual anything you bake looks great Rosie and am sure they tasted even better.

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow.....yummylicious cake....

Donna said...

Sounds Great!! Happy weekend sweetheart!!hughugs

Deborah said...

2 of my favorite things - streusel and lemon!!

Gloria Baker said...

WOW Rosie!!! almost I lost this!! Is absolutely amazing and yummy, I love the top, xoxoxox Gloria

Jamie said...

This is exactly the kind of cake I love with a cup of café au lait and a good book! Delicious flavor, beautifully fluffy texture and I love the streusel topping. I'll be over shortly.

Anna said...

Ah, I think we're both streusel fans! But I adore lemon, so this definitely appeals to me... sounds perfect!

Caroline said...

Lovely streusel topping. I'd like a slice, please!

Deeba PAB said...

CITRUS YUM...& then streusel=evn more YUM!! looks delicious to me Rosie. Never seen anything like this before. The perfect slice for tea!!♥♥♥

Cakelaw said...

You know me and citrus Rosie - I adore it. The almond toppping also looks fantastic - perfect tea time treat.

lilmizlynn said...

your lemon streusel loaf cake looks yummy!

The Caked Crusader said...

My mum is a lemon fanatic and would love that!

grace said...

streusels rule. they should exist on every breakfast and snack bread and that's all there is to it. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I must try this since we've got lots of lemons on the tree! Perfect for afternoon tea!

David Hall said...

Hi rosie,loving that streudel topping! As always, delish.

Cheers
David x

Maggie said...

Great cake and recipe. I love cakes with streusel topping.

Duchess of Tea said...

Lovely lovely blog, stumbled here and can't leave. Everything looks so delicious. I am coming back this weekend to read all your posts, just had to join your followers. If you get a chance, please visit my cottage too, I will love to have you over.

Duchess

www.beautyskincareweb.com said...

www.beautyskincareweb.com
unique cake, i like that

Anonymous said...

Ary
Music
bulBullay
Dareecha
Desi Kuriyan(Season 3)
dudgudi
Ijazat
Kaafir
Kaala Jadu
Khushboo ka ghar
Kuch Khuwab Thay Meray
Kuch Payar ka Pagal Pan
Main Chaand si, Mehmoodabad Ki Malkain

Anonymous said...

العاب تلبيس

amira said...

منتديات أسامر
اسلاميات,عامه,ادبيه,اسرة مجتمع,حياه,صوتيات,ديكور,ترفيهي,انمي,العاب,game,منتديات اسامر افضل منتدي عربي و فيه عدة اقسام و هي اتصلات وتقنيه
منتدي أسامر

amira said...



طبخ
سيارات
سيارات سباق
العاب طبخ جديدة
موقع العاب
موقع العاب فلاش اون لاين
العاب فلاش جديدة
العاب اون لاين

The Post Reader said...

Well, do you like to cook well I do if you see it on my apron I love cooking. COOKING INSTRUCTIONS|BAKING CAKE|BEATING EGG|

Alan Curtis said...

I want to share with you all here on how I got my loan from Mr Benjamin who helped me with a loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i applied for the loan when things were getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin granted me loan without delay. Here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com.